Pool Care Tips
Learn how to calculate your pool volume and develop convenient, step-by-step
schedules for opening, closing and maintaining your pool—it’s all right here.
Calculate Your Pool
Circular / Oval pool
As you care for your pool, it is important for your pool water to be in “balance.” Keeping the water chemistry balanced will prevent the water from becoming corrosive or forming scale deposits, both of which can damage pool equipment.
Your pool water should always range in the following chemistry levels:
Total Alkalinity: 80 – 120 ppm
pH: 7.2 – 7.8
Sanitizer Level: 1 – 4 ppm
Season Start up
Refresh your pool for the start of the season in only 3 days!
1. Ask a professional pool retailer to test the water you will be using to fill your pool. Testing the water will allow you to identify what minerals and water balance factors may require attention later.
2. Check that your pool filter is clean. If it is not, use GLB® Filter Cleanse according to the directions on the label. Soak the filter overnight for best results.
3. Begin filling the pool. After the pool is filled with several inches of water, add GLB® Sequa-Sol® sequestering agent (16 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons). This sequestering agent will prevent minerals in the water from staining or damaging pool surfaces.
4. As the pool completes filling, add GLB® Super Blue® Clarifier (4 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons) to clear the water of small particles. Fill the pool to the middle of the skimmer or the proper level recommended by the manufacturer. Once filled, start the pump and filtration equipment. Run the pool filter overnight or 24 hours if possible. While the filter is running, vacuum and remove any debris from the pool.
1. Add GLB® Oxy-Brite® non-chlorine shock oxidizer (1 lb. per 10,000 gallons) to destroy any contaminants that have accumulated in the water.
2. Adjust the total alkalinity level into the range of 80 to 120 ppm (parts per million) with GLB® Alkalinity Up. Once the total alkalinity is in the ideal range, test the pH levels of the pool water with test strips. Add GLB® pH Up or pH Down to adjust the pH level into the range of 7.2 to 7.8.
3. Next, begin sanitizing the water by adding a GLB® sanitizer until you reach the ideal sanitizer level. Allow the water to circulate overnight.
1. Prevent rapid loss of chlorine due to sunlight by adding GLB® Stabilizer. Note: not applicable for bromine pools.
Keep your pool water crystal clear with this easy 3–day routine! We recommend following these steps on Friday, Sunday and Wednesday, but you can choose any three days that are most convenient for you.
2. Add GLB® Algimycin® 3000 algaecide (6 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons) to prevent algae formation.
3. Add GLB® Sequa-Sol® sequestering agent (4 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons) to prevent stains and scale.
1. Vacuum the pool and clean out the skimmer basket.
2. Wipe off the water line with a soft towel. Occasionally use GLB® TLC® surface cleaner for heavy buildup at the waterline.
3. Add GLB® Oxy-Brite® non-chlorine shock oxidizer (1 lb. per 10,000 gallons) to rid water of contaminants.
4. Check the filter’s operation. Refer to the filter manufacturer’s directions regarding when to backwash or clean the filter. Use GLB® Filter Cleanse each time the sand filter is backwashed.
Ensure an easy spring startup when you close your pool correctly!
First, Prepare the Equipment
1. Brush pool walls and floor. Vacuum any debris from the pool floor.
2. Clean the filter with GLB® Filter Cleanse.
Next, Treat the Water
1. Add GLB® Oxy-Brite® non-chlorine shock oxidizer (1 lb. per 10,000 gallons) to destroy organic contaminants.
2. Add GLB® Algimycin® Winter algaecide (32 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons for solid-covered pools, 64 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons for mesh-covered or uncovered pools) to prevent algae growth throughout the winter.
3. Add GLB® Sequa-Sol® sequestering agent (use the initial dose of 16 fl. oz. per 10,000 gallons) to protect the pool from stains and scale formation. Allow water to circulate for 12-24 hours. If in a mild climate where the pool is left full and uncovered with the filtration system still operating, regularly add your GLB® sanitizer, GLB® Algimycin® 3000 algaecide and GLB® Sequa-Sol® sequestering agent.
4. After cleaning and treating the pool, lower the water if you are in an area where the water must be lowered due to freezing conditions. Drain all water from pipes, pumps, heaters, filters and other pool equipment according to the manufacturer’s directions. If in a mild climate where the pool is left full and uncovered, refer to the manufacturer’s directions regarding filter operation.